And now....the cutting. Fingers crossed, and all seems to have worked well.
I did have some difficulty ensuring that the rectangle I cut out of the embroidered cloth was not crooked...my cloth was not evenly cut, so I had to pull off the loose threads on the 3 non-selvedge sides until I found one thread that spanned the width of the fabric. Then I was sure that the next thread was straight. From there, I remeasured to get a straight rectangle. That's the reason for all the little chalk dots I made before I was brave enough to draw a line!
Then, I applied a little trick I learned in a sewing class at The Needle Shop here in Chicago and angled the corners inward about 1/2 inch. This gives a nice tight, crisp corner with plenty of pillow stuffing in it, and avoids floppy rabbit-ear corners. These are the marks showing where I'm going to trim on this corner:
Now, before I pin it all together...I need to go buy a sewing machine! I've been putting that off forever, and actually have 3 or 4 sewing projects lined up, so I think it'll be a good investment. I've been looking for an oldie but goodie on Craigslist, but haven't had any luck. So...impatience prevails and I'm off to the store.
Next time...we sew!